Benevento is a beautiful city with a lot to offer, and knowing the best places to visit during your vacation can help you feel more prepared. This website will provide helpful tips on how to find your way around the area, as well as information on all of the must-see attractions in this destination.
The Map of Benevento
Benevento, the capital of the province of Benevento in Campania, is located on a hill overlooking the Bay of Naples. The city has a population of about 128,000 and covers an area of 43.5 km2. Benevento was founded by the Samnites around 753 BC and it became part of the Roman Republic in 218 BC.
The city passed out of the hands of the Romans to the Byzantines in 828 AD, and then to the Normans in 1087 AD. In 1137 AD it became part of the Kingdom of Sicily, and in 1282 it passed into the hands of Charles II of Anjou.
Benevento was sacked by Frederick II Barbarossa in 1158 AD and by Roger II de Hauteville in 1183 AD. It was taken by Angevin Emperor Henry VI in 1266 AD and recaptured by Charles I of Anjou in 1285 AD. Benevento became a free commune in 1323 AD and it joined the Kingdom of Naples in 1501 AD. In 1647 AD it was captured by General Doria who sacked it, but it was reconquered by Cardinal Mazarin.
Benevento Map and Travel Guide Photo Gallery
If you’re looking for a fun and scenic weekend getaway, Benevento is worth considering. This medieval city is perched on a hill overlooking the Italian Riviera and features well-preserved architecture from the 16th century. Benevento also has plenty of activities to keep you busy, like touring the churches and walking through the narrow streets of its old town. If you’re feeling adventurous, take a hike up one of the nearby mountains or go swimming in one of the picturesque lakes.
Attractions in Benevento
Benevento is a beautiful city located in the southern region of Campania, Italy. Home to a number of historical sites, including the Palazzo Reale and the Cathedral of San Giuseppe, Benevento is an excellent place to visit if you’re interested in culture and history. Additionally, the city boasts a number of attractions that are perfect for tourists who want to get out and explore. Here are five of the best things to do in Benevento:
1. Walk around the medieval old town district. This part of Benevento is full of narrow streets and alleyways that are perfect for exploring on foot. You’ll find churches, palazzos, and other noteworthy buildings here, all dating back to the Middle Ages.
2. Take a trip to the Palazzo Reale. This beautiful palace was once home to the royal family of Benevento. Today, it’s open to tourists who can tour its rooms and halls. The palace also has a number of gardens that are worth visiting.
3. Visit the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore. This magnificent cathedral is one of Benevento’s most popular tourist destinations. It’s home to some of the city’s finest works of art.
4. Hike to Monte Sant’Angelo. This is one of the most interesting and beautiful sites in Benevento. You’ll have an excellent view from the top, and you’ll also be treated to some of Italy’s best sceneries and landscapes below.
5. Visit the 16th-century Basilica di San Bartolomeo al Sepolcro (St Bartholomew Holy Sepulchre). The church was built on a Roman temple dedicated to Mithraism, but it also contains two ancient marble columns that were discovered in Rome during excavations for this building.
Accommodations in Benevento
Benevento is a great place to stay if you’re looking for accommodation that’s both comfortable and affordable. There are plenty of options for budget-minded travelers, as well as more luxurious accommodations. Prices range from around €30 per night for a hostel room to €200 per night for a five-star hotel.
Here are some of the best hotels in Benevento:
1) La Fontana Hotel – This Hotel offers modern and comfortable rooms with free Wi-Fi and satellite TV. It’s situated in the heart of Benevento, close to the main attractions.
2) Pensione Villa Vetralla – If you’re looking for a traditional Italian pension, try the Pensione Villa Vetralla. It has small but well-kept rooms, a garden and terrace, and it’s only a few minutes’ walk from the historic centre of Benevento.
3) Hotel Duomo – This historic hotel is located in the heart of Benevento, close to all the major attractions. The rooms are clean and spacious, and include all the amenities you’ll need.
4) Hotel Sibilla – If you’re looking for an affordable option, Hotel Sibilla is a good choice. It’s located in the heart of Benevento, close to all the major attractions, and it has free Wi-Fi throughout.
5) Hotel Confort – This hotel is located in the heart of Benevento, close to all the major attractions. It has spacious rooms for any stay, and it’s very clean and safe.
Restaurants and Cafes in Benevento
If you’re looking for a break from the sights and sounds of Benevento, there are plenty of restaurants and cafes to choose from. From pizzerias to pasta joints, there’s something for everyone in the city. Here are a few of our favorites:
– La Fontana di Piazza del Popolo: This café is well-known for its gelato, but it also offers a wide variety of dishes, including pasta, pizza, and salads. It’s perfect if you’re looking for a quick bite or want to take your time browsing the menu.
– Il Mulino di Via Garibaldi: This pizzeria is known for its thin crust pizza and fresh toppings. It’s perfect if you’re in the mood for some pizza after touring the city.
– Caffè San Marco: If you’re looking for some coffee, this is the place to go. They’ve got all sorts of drinks and pastries to choose from.
What Else to Check Out in Italy?
If you’re looking to explore more of Italy beyond the tourist traps, here are a few other places worth checking out:
– Benevento – This little town on the outskirts of Naples has a fascinating history and is home to some impressive medieval architecture.
– Padua – A beautiful university city with many historical attractions, including a number of churches and palazzos built by the Venetians.
– Verona – Home to one of Italy’s most famous opera houses and some stunning architecture, like the Verona Arena.