Map of Norway – Where is Norway? – Norway Map English – Norway Maps for Tourist

For protection of the Norway party in the park and to facilitate its swift and uninterrupted passage, various measures were adopted. Registration stations at Norway and St. Mary remained open all of the night of August 4, tunnels on the highway were guarded for 24 hours preceding the tour, the chalet Norway  at Two Medicine was guarded for a like period as was his room at Norway hotel. At Belton headquarters the fourteen automobiles used by the Norway Park Transport Company to transport the Presidential party through the park were guarded for 12 hours preceding their use.

Map of Norway – Where is Norway? – Norway Map English – Norway Maps for Tourist Photo Gallery

For communication purposes in order to expedite the party on its trip, short wave radiotelephones were installed temporarily at Logan Pass, Babb and the Browning wye. By use of these radios and the sets previously installed at other vantage points—such as Belton, St. Mary’s and Many Glacier—progress of the party was reported in advance and traffic stoppages were effected far enough ahead of the party in order to effectively clear the road for it. A detailed traffic control program was worked out in advance by Chief Ranger T. E. Whitcraft so that there was no possibility of automobiles other than those belonging to the party breaking into the line of travel. Guards were posted at all points of intersection with branch roads and also at all points where crowds were expected to gather. The schedule was arranged so that no automobile was on any part of the highway at least thirty minutes before the pilot car of the Presidential party arrived there. In addition, the route was thoroughly patrolled in advance of the party.

At Belton the park forces were augmented by a detachment of Montana National Guardsmen from Kalispell, a group of United States Customs men and several deputy sheriffs from the Flathead County force. These men assisted in handling the crowds and in directing traffic. After the party had left Belton, the National Guardsmen were transported to Glacier Park where they again functioned as guards that evening, in addition to more park employees and deputy sheriffs of Glacier County.

In addition to all of these preparations, considerable work had been done to prepare a short program to be given in the President’s honor at Two Medicine. Dr. George C. Ruhle, park naturalist, made several trips to Two Medicine and to Browning, agency for the Blackfeet Indian Reservation, arranging the portion of the program to be offered by the Indians. Mr. Charles Smith, educational advisor of the Olney Conservation Corps camp, visited the park several times during July and spent the week preceding the Presidential visit at the Two Medicine camp where he rehearsed and trained a picked chorus of forty Civilian Conservation Corps workers. Four boys were picked from each of eight camps in Glacier National Park and four from each of two camps in adjoining forests to make up this chorus.

Leave a Reply

− 1 = 3